Thursday, October 7, 2010

Thou shalt not spin on the Sabbath.

This wacko law comes out of the great state of Idaho:

"Riding a merry-go-round on Sunday's is considered a crime."

Now I can actually imagine a plausible reason that this law was crafted.  So, imagine with me, that there is an ultra-conservative Orthodox Jew who settles in the great city of Boise with his family and 600 of his closest kinsmen/friends.  After twenty years of living there, he discovers that the ten kids that he has birthed in the land of plenty have been bypassing the Sabbath limits on them by doing their melakha on a merry-go-round.  Since they are spinning in perfect revolutions, they have a 0 displacement, means they haven't gone anywhere or done anything, technically.  Here's the good Hebrew's reactions:
 Good Hebrew:  Now before you chayas start looking at me like I'm some kind of alter cocker, I suggest you listen to me.  I've been shvitzing like a shtupping shvantz trying to make sure that my little angels follow the rules.  And how do you repay me?  You neophytes gather up your chutzpah and disobey me!  Well, you know what I've done?  I was at the governer's house for his boy's bar mitzvah, shmoozing with him and talking about things that we think should change around here.  I happened to mention to that shmegegge that my kids had been bypassing their Sabbath rules on  the merry-go-round, trying to outsmart me.  I suggested he make merry-go-round illegal on the Sabbath, and what do you know?  It happened!  Here's a copy of the actual bill that was signed!  *presents bill*  Now there's nowhere you can go gavalting off about how this is unfair.  You little rodents get what you deserve.  Now go in the house and ess your kosher pot roast.

**Yiddish words are in italics

Needless to say, his children soon lost interest in merry-go-round and resorted to marijuana.

I wonder what the punishment for this law was?  "You are not allowed to make more than a 179.9˚ turn for 48 hours."

No comments:

Post a Comment